Rules: Racing IODs With Respect
- Port stays clear of starboard
- Windward keeps clear of leeward.
- The boat astern keeps clear of the boat ahead.
- A boat tacking or jibing keeps clear of one that is not.
- Avoid collisions! The racing rules are defensive to prevent collisions, not offensive racing tactics.
- If you gain right-of-way or change course, give the other boat time to keep clear.
- The inside boat(s) at the zone around the mark is entitled to room to round the mark.
- A boat that is backing up or not racing keeps clear.
- It is better to give way than to spend hours in a protest room.